I recently received a bunch of fresh figs. Since they aren’t grown around here I don’t think I’ve ever had the opportunity to try them. They are very different from fig newton cookies! I have heard they are good in smoothies but haven’t tried it yet. I did try this cookie recipe from allrecipes.com last night. Here it is with my changes. I really liked them fresh although they weren’t as good the next day, a little dry.
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped fresh figs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cream sugar and shortening and add beaten egg.
- Sift dry ingredients and blend with creamed mixture. Fold in figs and nuts.
- Drop by spoonfuls on greased sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.