This time of year I love quick and easy meals but especially soup. A friend brought me this soup after they had a church party and had way too much leftover. I was more than happy to take it off of her hands.
Yield 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour or cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Half and Half (or real cream)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and spinach. Bring to a boil, and cook until spinach is tender.
- In a small pan saute onions in 2 Tablespoons butter until tender, add minced garlic then add to cooked spinach. Let it cool- then put it in a food processor or a blender and process until it is smooth. I used a stick blender. Less mess and accidents.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and half and half. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in spinach mixture.