I found this recipe from nourished kitchen.com. I made these with my kids and I normally wouldn’t put so much work into a snack that I usually make in 5 min. tops. But I LOVE orange creamsicles and haven’t had one in years because of the yucky dyes, artificial flavors and other chemicals in them. All three of my kids helped while I was making dinner so they weren’t too hard just took some time. I used *Citrus Bliss (do terra)essential oil because I didn’t have orange essential oil.
Homemade Creamsicles: Ingredients
- 2 cups orange juice
- up to 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh cream (see sources)
- 2 cups fresh whole milk (see sources)
- 4 to 6 drops organic sweet orange essential oil or 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Homemade Creamsicles: Method
- Stir 1/3 cup honey into 2 cups orange juice.
- Pour the mixture of juice and honey into a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and heat it over a medium flame until reduced by half.
- Once the mixture of honey and orange juice has been reduced by half to a viscous syrup, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk four egg yolks, two cups fresh cream and two cups fresh whole milk with organic sweet orange essential oil or orange extract and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue whisking until all the ingredients are very well combined.
- Whisk the mixture of honey and orange juice into the mixture of eggs, cream and milk.
- Pour the creamsicle mixture into your popsicle molds and freeze until solid, at least twelve hours.
NOTE: If you do not have popsicle molds, try using Dixie cups and popsicle sticks. Pour the mixture into dixie cups, place in the freezer and after four to six hours place popsicle sticks into the center of each cup and continue to freeze for at least an additional six hours.
*I love essential oils, especially do terra. They are a very high grade, high quality oil. They work wonders on my kids ailments, and mine. I love OnGuard to protect against illness. I love Breathe for my allergies. Citrus Bliss boosts my mood and helps all of us feel awake in the morning. There are so many others but I just thought I’d share some of my favorites. It you are interested, I sell them. I don’t push it, I mostly signed up for the wholesale price and it’s so worth it. If you are interested in signing up I can help you out with that too. I know this sounds like a promotion, I guess it is, just know I don’t normally do this. I really love essential oils and I believe in them.